I love crepes. They are ever so versatile. You can fill them with almost anything. They’re like little buttery blankets for your favorite stuff. These simple little beauties are pretty easy to make, and can easily go from meal time to dessert time with a filling swap.
The filling I’m showing today was born out of necessity as I had some leftover roast chicken, but I’m oh-so-glad it was. These were delicious. The sweet and tart crispy apple paired perfectly with the decadent Gouda and savory chicken. It tasted decadent, but didn’t leave me feeling weighed down.
If you have some leftover chicken, these will come together really quickly for you. It’s a pretty fantastic way to use up some of those “end of the week” leftovers.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk (slightly warmed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (just a pinch)
Crepe Directions (batter will make about 8 crepes):
- Add milk, water and eggs to a large mixing bowl and mix well
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients ensuring there are no lumps
- Gently stir in melted butter
- Cover batter and let rest at room temperature for 20-40 minutes. The resting time allows the gluten in your flour to relax. Not allowing the batter some rest time will result in a rubbery crepe.
- Heat a medium sized non-stick skillet to medium heat
- Spray with cooking spray
- Add batter at about 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Your crepe batter should be thinner than pancake batter, but not runny. If your first crepe doesn’t spread out nicely in the pan add 1-2 tablespoons water to the batter
- Look for bubbles in the surface of your batter, and turn when the edges begin to lift. A great trick I like to use is to shake the skillet. If the crepe is ready to turn, it will move.
- Flip it and brown the other side to golden. It will happen much quicker on the second side.
- Crepes should be lacy and tender
- 1/2 cup grated smoked Gouda
- 3 ounces chopped chicken (warmed)
- 1/2 thin sliced apple
- Greens of choice (I used lightly dressed spinach)
- Fill crepes while hot to melt the cheese